Thursday, November 17, 2011

Comparison is the Thief of All Joy

I have been working like a dog for three weeks to lose weight. I work out on average 5 days a week. I no longer eat mindlessly (which was kind of fun) or frequently enjoy beer (which was a lot of fun). And it has come with several rewards. My body *feels* healthier. Muscles feel stronger, posture seems improved... But the scale is moving so very, very slowly! I know that some of that is probably because of increased muscle, and I'm trying to focus on the fact that I *feel* better. The tape measure says inches are coming off. I don't see them and the scale doesn't move. I'm working hard at being zen about the whole thing. Don't sweat it....keep on program...the results are going to be amazing! THEY WILL COME!!!! And usually I'm okay with it. I know that it took a while to put the weight on, it is going to take a while to get it back off. I just get frustrated when people I work with sit around eating donuts and cookies, and eat fast food at least 5 times a week, never exercise and LOSE WEIGHT! Holy crap that bugs me. But remember young Grasshopper, comparison is the thief of joy. Their path is theirs. I'm on my own path and it's the one I need to focus on. By comparing my success (for the love of Pete, I have had SUCCESS) with theirs, I am robbing it of its worth and significance. Maybe I'm just tired. Normally when I work out in the morning, I am energized. Today I am POOPED! The balls of my feet hurt from the elliptical machine (you tend to scrunch your toes on an elliptical - at least I do), my eyes feel dry, I've had 20oz of coffee already and still feel like I just crawled out of bed. *sigh* The good news is that I worked out this morning! A hard 45 minutes on the machine. Think I'll go fill up my water bottle and see if this exhaustion is just dehydration in disguise. My path is proven. My success is real. The goal is worth it.

Today's goal: drink 100 oz of water. STAIRS. Not drink more than 24oz of beer at tonight's beer event. I will volunteer to be DD for Hubby so he can have fun. :-D

BTW - WW weigh-in last night? 168.4!! WOOT! And I walked the 2 mile roundtrip to the meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment